Shipka Monastery "Birth of Christ"
The gold-plated domes of the church of the Shipka Monastery (aka Memorial Temple) of The Birth of Crist shine from afar and entice travellers into visiting. The place is extremely beautiful. The temple church has a typical fabulous Russian architecture and is surrounded by a lot of greenery.
The entire monastery complex was built by the idea of General Skobelev’s mother and Count Ignatiev with donations from the people of Russia and the land donated by the local residents of the town of Shipka. Today, it is part of the Shipka-Buzludzha Park Museum. Marble plates were placed with the names of the Russian officers and soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers who died for the liberation of Bulgaria in the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878.
Peace and quiet rule within the confines of the monastery complex and one can hardly imagine the fierce battles that were fought nearby.